Welcome

Maybe you plan on travelling Europe? This is my personal experience and I hope it can save you time and money.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Florence 8/12/10

I’m quite behind writing about these cities but then again, I’m going through Italy at a rapid pace.  I had two nights in Florence.  When I arrived, my best bet was to get some food and then I went out with an English guy and two Danes.  We checked out a couple bars, got drunk, and I stumbled in at 4am.  Day two I thought to visit the Galleria Accamedia (Michelango’s David) and the Galleria Uffizi (Boticelli’s Birth of Venus) and perhaps Florence’s famous Duomo.  But as luck would have it, sightseeing in Italy in August is brutal: two hour ques plus reservation fees and the streets are littered with tourists.  I was so frustrated I actually left the city and went to Pisa for a few hours.  (It’s a mere hour from Florence.)  I pretty much waltzed in, saw the tower, took my picture, and left.  On the train back I met an Italian girl who was very nice, in fact we met up later that night for drinks and she gave me the recipe for Tiramisu.  We said goodbye and exchanged facebook.
By the way, I did get to the Galleria Uffizi and saw some wonderful Renaissance art.  I better have, Florence is the birthplace of the Renaissance.
PS-Almost got another bus fine for €45.  Talked myself out of it by saying I arrived in Florence only 20 minutes ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment