Welcome

Maybe you plan on travelling Europe? This is my personal experience and I hope it can save you time and money.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sofia 8/1/10

I arrived via bus from Istanbul (with Bella, some fun on the bus) at 6am: luckily Boris met us at the station.  Boris was such an awesome guy he even took Bella in for three days.  I was thrilled to stay in an apartment after all these hostels 1) cut costs: I went overboard in Istanbul and I had to pay for Bella and 2) it felt like couchsurfing again.  I spent maybe €50 in total in Bulgaria, including €10 on a bottle of Havana Club (Cuban rum banned in the US).  Also, Bella payed me back €125 so my money situation is okay.  I have some credit on my phone and I cancelled my credit cards (at last).  I might try to get my wallet back from Prague too.
As for Bulgaria, so-so.  Much different than I imagined.  I was thinking along the lines of Bucharest but it was much more like Zagreb.  Very clean, pretty, and super cheap.  Unfortunately, there just wasn’t a whole lot to do.  We walked the main street went up Mt. Vitosha, saw some churches, and ate out, but that’s about it.  I stayed 4 days out of courtesy for Boris, who, by the way, is a bit different than I remember.  He’s quite pompous and flamboyant, but in an endearing way.  Well, he was a good host and I got a bed to sleep on with Bella, so it wasn’t all that bad.  I am now closing the chapter on Eastern Europe and going to Southern Europe.
I also made some changes to the trip.  No Ireland, Portugal, or Luxembourg.  Instead of Zurich, I go to Bern, and I will visit Marseille en route to Barcelona.  I will have to save everything else for another trip.
To pass the time I’ve been downloading movies, music, reading the Qu’ran, and trying to figure out this damn Rubik’s cube.  Also, my to-do list has gotten bigger and I should start thinking of how to work out my problems at home.  Lastly, I decided I don’t need the credit card in Europe, but I for sure will need it in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment