Welcome

Maybe you plan on travelling Europe? This is my personal experience and I hope it can save you time and money.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Rome 8/11/10

Alas Rome!  What a wonderful city!  I’m glad I went to Athens first, because if I went after Rome, Athens looks like a joke.  Rome is huge, clean, and littered with ancient ruins which are in excellent shape.  There are a ton of things to do in Rome; you need at least 4 days, plus one for Vatican City.
Vatican City was marvelous, you pay €15 and stand in line for awhile, yet it’s worth it.  The Vatican Museum includes some of the best Roman antiquities plus wonderful paintings from the Renaissance: noteably Raphael and Michelango.  Also, the Sistine Chapel is marvelous to behold—you look up in awe.  You’re not allowed to take pictures, so in other words, you must be sneaky.
Rome is fairly inexpensive for what it offers and cheaper than Florence.  I luckily found a hostel for €20, but it was quite a shithole and none of the staff spoke English.  My best bet was to speak with them in Spanish with an Italian accent and I could make myself understood.
Rome has beautiful piazzas, a pyramid, (who knew?)  and great food: gelato, pizza, pasta, etc.  Not to mention the Colisseum, which is even more spectatular at night.  Rome might be a contender for my favorite city, however, I didn’t do anything super special in Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment