Welcome

Maybe you plan on travelling Europe? This is my personal experience and I hope it can save you time and money.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Thessaloniki 8/2/10

I arrived from Bulgaria to wonderful Thessaloniki: a great introduction to Greece.  It was hot.  There was the Thessaloniki gulf straight ahead of me but I couldn’t swim: the beaches were a good 10 km away.  Thessaloniki is a small city and it reminds me of Rostock a bit.  I am a bit dissappointed that I won’t visit any more cheap cities.  That was Eastern Europe and it’s now in the past.  However, I have saved quite a lot from Bulgaria, I might be okay with my budget.
By far the best part of Thessaloniki is the ancient ruins which are scattered throughout the city:  it’s good anticipation for Athens.  In Thessaloniki they have the Rotunda of St. George, the White Tower, and the Roman Agora, (I went in after hours and got kicked out).  It blows my mind seeing these pieces of history from 4th BC right next to a Pizza Hut.  Thessaloniki was one of the three Greek cities that St. Paul went at preached at.  Wow!
Another super plus was the hostel.  A bit steep at €17, (Hey, I find just the cheapest now) but it had AC, fridge, 2 bathrooms, nice shower, patio, and free safe storage.  Nice, plus I met a German, Croatian, Turk, and Brazilian where we played chess and Backgammon and drank all my Havana Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment